ELDERCARE Archives

October 2011

ELDERCARE@LISTSERV.IHS.GOV

From:
"Lamer, Chris CL (IHS/NAS)" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Elder Care <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Oct 2011 16:46:31 +0000
Begin forwarded message:

From: "Baur, Cynthia (CDC/OD/OADC)" <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Subject: [HealthLiteracy 6252] CDC Releases Practical Advice on Developing Materials to Match the Health Literacy Skills of Older Adults
Date: October 20, 2011 10:23:39 AM CDT
To: 'The Health and Literacy Discussion List' <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>

Last night, CDC released a new section on older adults and health literacy issues on the CDC health literacy web site. I hope you find this content valuable. I would appreciate your feedback. I tried to get away from generic principles and statements and make the information as specific to older adults as possible. Your feedback will help me decide if we should develop similar sections for other audiences, such as teens and moms of school-aged children.

www.cdc.gov/healthliteracy/DevelopMaterials/Audiences/index.html<http://www.cdc.gov/healthliteracy/DevelopMaterials/Audiences/index.html>

If you like the content, please promote it with your colleagues, grantees and partner organizations. I’d like to hear from them too. And please link to this section from your own web sites. Below is an announcement you can use or customize.

Thanks,

Cynthia Baur
CDC

CDC Releases Practical Advice on Developing Materials to Match the Health Literacy Skills of Older Adults

CDC’s health literacy web site (www.cdc.gov/healthliteracy<http://www.cdc.gov/healthliteracy>) has a new section to help health and other professionals develop materials that will communicate more effectively with older adults and their caregivers. The web site includes self-assessments, background information on health literacy, steps to improve materials and links to resources about older adults and caregivers. The new content builds on CDC’s expert panel report on older adults and health literacy issues. www.cdc.gov/healthliteracy/DevelopMaterials/Audiences/index.html<http://www.cdc.gov/healthliteracy/DevelopMaterials/Audiences/index.html>