ELDERCARE Archives

September 2014

ELDERCARE@LISTSERV.IHS.GOV

From:
"Lamer, Chris (IHS/HQ)" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Elder Care <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2014 16:26:50 +0000
Hello,

I was responding to the question on the Eldercare listserv. Sorry to take so long, but I had some issues in accessing an RPMS test database. I got on this morning and remembered the first rule about RPMS reports: never ever say that you can do something without checking first!

I was not able to generate a list using VGEN, PGEN, or QMAN, but fortunately, through some good ole fashioned human interaction, I was reminded that there is a canned report in the pharmacy package that will provide you with a list of patients who are currently taking 7 or more medications (or whatever number you'd like to set). It is called the Poly Pharmacy Report and can be accessed through the following prompts:

          Outpatient Pharmacy Manager

          Output Reports ...

          Poly Pharmacy Report

Select IHS-Specific Pharmacy Options Option: ^poly Pharmacy Report

Outpatient Pharmacy software - Version 7.0

Division:    2013-DEMO HOSPITAL  8992

          You are logged on under the 2013-DEMO HOSPITAL division.

Number of Days For Chronic Med Profile:  (1-999): 90//

Pre-Select PMI/Chronic Med Profile Device? (Y/N) ? No//   (No)

Select LABEL PRINTER: TELNET LOGIN//   Virtual

OK to assume label alignment is correct? YES// YES

Number Of Days To Begin Search:  (1-730): 180// 180

Minimum Number Of Rxs and Active Outside Medications:  (1-100): 7// 7

Enter Patient's Name or ^ALL for All Patients: ALL

It looks like your only options are to run this report for a single patient or all patients. I didn't see an option to run this report on a registry of patients (in which case you could first make a registry of patients age ≥65). If this is something you'd like to see, or if you'd like to add an age prompt, I'd suggest filling out an RPMS feedback request http://www.ihs.gov/rpms/index.cfm?module=Feedback

Then you'll get your output in the following format:

NAME + GENDER + BIRTHDATE + LOOKS LIKE LAST 4 OF SSN + HRN

This will give you a list of patients with more than 7 prescriptions. You could import this into a spreadsheet and sort by birthdate to find your cutoff for age ≥ 65 years. You would nee to create a file to do this by either using copy paste or by logging your session.

If you run it for a single patient, you'll get a listing of all their medications (which includes those that were filled at your facility, were autofinished (such as with ePrescribing), and those entered as outside medications.

I hope this may be helpful. Please let me know if you have any questions. thanks!

Chris